Entry Level Software Developer – National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC) – Cedar Rapids, IA
National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC
Full Job Description
For more than 50 years, NISC has worked to develop technology solutions for our customers, who we call our “Members”. Those Members are comprised primarily of utility and telecommunications companies across the country and abroad, and we strive to provide services and technology to help them operate efficiently and better serve their end users.
NISC is always seeking out talented software developers & engineers that are motivated, enjoy working with others and solving complex challenges. We look for individuals who will thrive in a team environment, be committed to accomplishing a common goal and aren’t afraid to learn new things and have some fun along the way.
Whether you’re a full stack engineer or have preferences in certain areas of development we do it all. NISC’s core business is developing software – it’s who we are. So if you like iOS or Android, great! If you prefer backend over front end, awesome! Server side to client side, web apps to desktop just apply here and we’ll take the conversation from there. Keep reading!
- Perform software maintenance and enhancements.
- Translate business requirements and design into software development.
- Perform established software development methodologies and procedures.
- Participate in discussions involving software development & design – including code reviews and pair programming.
- Identify opportunities to continuously learn and stay up to date on the newest technologies
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Preferred:
- Depending on the team our “recruiting sorting hat” places you on, you could have exposure to or master any of the following languages:
- Software Engineering: Java, JIRA, Agile Kanban, Agile Scrum, GIT
- Mobile: Kotlin, Android, iOS, Swift
- Database: MySQL, SQL, Access, Oracle
- Basic level knowledge of business-related software applications and services.
- Understanding of software development concepts from the ground up
- Understanding of Project Management processes and theory.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates strong initiative and accountability skills.
- Utilize solid research and problem-solving skills.
- Possess a strong attention to detail.
- Aptitude to organize and prioritize.
NISC’s Shared Values & Competencies:
We’re a cooperative, which means we’re owned by the Members we serve. It also means that our focus is on taking care of our Members and our employees, rather than having a big bottom line. Quality service and innovative technology starts with happy and dedicated employees. Join our team and learn for yourself what sets NISC apart.
- Integrity – We are committed to doing the right thing – always.
- Relationships – We are committed to building and preserving lasting relationships.
- Innovation – We promote the spirit of creativity and champion new ideas.
- Teamwork – We exemplify the cooperative spirit by working together.
- Empowerment – We believe individuals have the power to make a difference.
- Personal Development – We believe the free exchange of knowledge and information is absolutely necessary to the success of each individual and the organization.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance.
- Health Savings Account (HSA) with $100 monthly contributions from NISC.
- Like to walk? Improve your overall wellness knowledge? Ability to earn up to $800 additional dollars into your HSA each year through our Wellness Rewards program.
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) thru Paylocity.
- Fully covered life insurance up to x3 annual base salary.
- Fully covered short- and long-term disability.
- 401(k), traditional or Roth, with employee match up to 6% and employer 4% salary base contributions.
- PTO accrual levels dependent on years of service, 120 Life Leave Event hours and 9 paid holidays.
- $2,500 Interest-FREE technology loan program.
- $25,000 employee educational assistance program.
- Quench your thirst with free coffee, hot chocolate, hot/iced tea and water.
- Forgot your lunch? Onsite Pepsi market with an array of items for purchase.
- Monthly onsite meet-ups – beverages, snacks and good conversation provided!
- Volunteer, Wellness, Family Events and other employee fun supplied by our committees.
- Employee Assistance Program; assisting employees and dependents with virtually any life event
- Benevolence Committee to support employees with financial hardships like unexpected medial bills, funerals and other unfortunate hardships.
- High School Diploma or equivalency required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Computer Science-related field or equivalent experience preferred.
Minimum Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the essential functions of this position, employees must be able to see and communicate. Employees are regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move, and operate computer keyboards or office equipment.
Management may modify this job description by assigning or reassigning duties and responsibilities at any time.
Job Type: Full-time