Production Manager – Fabrications – GMT Corporation – Cedar Rapids, IA
Indeed’s salary guide
- Not provided by employer
- $74.2K – $94K a year is Indeed’s estimated salary for this role in Cedar Rapids, IA.
Full Job Description
The Operations Manager is responsible all direct staff, manufacturing operations, scheduling, and materials movement activities throughout GMT Waverly Fabrication operations. Insures on-time delivery, safe work practices, quality and productivity. This position assures management of delivering quality products to its customers on a timely basis within safe production guidelines and cost parameters.
II. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures high quality parts, on-time to provide customer delight.
- Responsible for manufacturing staff in both GMT fabrication factories, including safe working practices, labor needs, production output and quality.
- Determines manufacturing staff weekly work schedules, labor requirements, overtime requests and equipment capacity.
- Oversees the movement of materials through the supply chain and the shipment of the final product to ensure the timely delivery of parts and products to all customers.
- Responsible for shipping, receiving, and inter-company material transfer functions; trucking activities to ensure the most efficient and effective transportation alternatives are being utilized.
- Establishes controls and monitors performance in all areas of manufacturing operations and their related costs. Works with personnel to recommend and implement safety and process improvements.
- Ensures personnel are trained properly, and effectively performing their job duties to ensure these functions are being performed as safely and efficiently as possible.
- Utilizes visual management system to quickly identify issues on the production floor, make corrections and maintain productivity and quality standards.
- Develops weekly and monthly production plans, and measures productivity by individual work centers. Conducts meetings with department supervisors to evaluate work center performance and maximizes use of capacity.
- Maintains and analyzes weekly and monthly manufacturing reports and makes recommendations for improvement. Ensures profitability, quality, safety, and efficiency goals are met.
- Studies workflow requirements and sequence of operations for departments throughout all facilities to determine new or improved material flow so that the safest and most efficient flow of materials will occur.
- Evaluates inventory parameters for minimums, maximums, re-order points, and order quantities. Manages the division’s inventory control system so that inventory turns and costs are within established parameters.
- Sets expectations and oversees the cycle counting processes for raw materials, WIP, and finished goods, working closely with the Accounting Department to verify accuracy of inventory records.
- Assures products and components from manufacturing operations are meeting quality control standards. Works with Quality Department to comply with ISO 9001:2008 standards. Analyzes quality problems, and working with Engineering and Quality departments, makes recommendations to improve manufacturing processes.
- Develops and executes cross training goals of all subordinate staff to prepare them for advancement and to better support the company’s vision and goals.
- Serves as a member of the Management Team and assists with the development of the company’s strategic plan and policies, and implements these plans in the assigned areas of responsibility.
- Conducts personal reviews of direct reports to evaluate and improve employee performance. May assist subordinate supervisors in preparing employee evaluations by reviewing prior to issue.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
Manages numerous direct reports and is responsible for the effectiveness of the chain of command. Carries out priorities of the VP of Operations. Is accountable for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of GMT manufacturing operations. Carries out management/supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses insight and experience to complete, interpret and understand data; designs work flows and procedures. Able to utilize Six Sigma data collection and Lean Manufacturing problem solving tools to identify the root cause(s) of problems and recommend and develop corrective actions for long term problem resolution.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognitions for results.
- Staff Management – Includes staff in planning, decisions-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; fosters quality focus in others.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans and plans for contingencies.
- Quality Management – Responsible for leading or facilitating the work efforts and evaluating/improving the performance of business processes, employees and machines to meet or exceed the goals for the GMT Corporation in a safe, organized, and efficient fashion.
- Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking – Analyzes specific safety, business and production processes or quality problems for the purpose of identifying the root cause(s) of the problem and assists with the development of recommendations for short and long-term resolution.
- Leadership experience and style – His/her management style will need to be based on the Servanthood leadership model with characteristics that include transparency, process based, a relentless drive for results, discernment and collaboration at all levels of the organization.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S. or B.A.) from an accredited college or university is preferred. Associate’s Degree (A.A.) from an accredited technical school or community college may be acceptable.
- Seven (7+) year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Guided by the objectives, values, and mission statement of GMT, the individual will provide leadership and vision necessary to ensure that the company, division, and department achieve established goals. They will accomplish this by ensuring the proper procedures, systems, people, and training are in place, and will provide leadership and direction to achieve desired results through others
- Serves as a role model and represents GMT Corporation inside and outside the Company to promote GMT’s values and build up strong community relationships.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write business and operations reports, correspondence, reprimands and commendations. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word and other MS Office applications.
- Job requires knowledge, understanding, and proficient use of Company’s MRP (Syteline).
VI. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit (at desk) and bend at the waist.
- May be required to lift up to 25 pounds.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Production+Manager&c=GMT+Corporation&l=Cedar+Rapids%2C+IA&jk=b15ab8e7275df3bc&rtk=1g276lkhepvvt800&from=rss→